Monday, June 23, 2008

June 23, 2008

Home for 10 days and then out to Los Angeles to conduct the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra for Liza's Induction into the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame.

We arrived in LA and the weather was very very hot. I had rented a convertible but the heat made it impossible to put the top down. Just AC on the coldest setting for the entire trip.

BB King, James Galway and Liza were the honorees. All performed and all were great.

The Hollywood Bowl Orchestra is made up of the best studio and concert musicians in LA and the World for that matter. They played everything from Shostakovich to Kander and Ebb with the same brilliance.

I conducted from the drums, in front of the Orchestra...somewhat unusual but it went off without a hitch.


Liza was, as always, amazing. Her vocals are so strong and even in the heat, she moved and danced like a 19 year old!

She and I had a great impromptu moment during rehearsal where we recreated the ending of the Fred Astaire dance to SHINE ON YOUR SHOES. On stage, at the Bowl, I got to dance, (not really...but I try) with Liza. When asked to repeat my efforts for the Choreographer, I begged off...better I stay behind the drums or on the Podium.

This Saturday night, the 28th, in Lake Geneva, Wisc. with the Chicago Philharmonic, I'll be doing a first half tribute to Henry Mancini. Second half, Maureen McGovern.

July 11 & 13th with Spectrum and the Hartford Symphony in Simsbury, Ct. Outdoors....Come hear the music play!!!

More to come soon.

Stay cool.

Mike B.